Strike A Light, Everyman Theatre Cheltenham, Hawkwood and Lives of Colour
Artist Call out and Commission
We are offering a unique seed commissioning opportunity for a Black artist or Black led company to develop a piece of touring work. The commission aims to support a piece of performance to be an example of excellence in touring that has the potential to reach a diverse audience.
The commission will include:
- £3,000 cash investment to develop the work
- Two residencies: one with Everyman Theatre Cheltenham on 2nd – 7th September and one with Strike A Light at Hawkwood on 23rd – 27th September 2019 to develop the work.
Hawkwood residency will include rehearsal space, accommodation and full board for up to 5 artists.
Everyman Theatre residency will include studio rehearsal space and a £500 contribution towards travel/ accommodation/ food costs.
Please note additional artistic fees will not be offered for these weeks.
- Opportunities to share the work in progress with audiences at Strike A Light festival in October 2019 and the potential for previewing or programming finished work with Strike A Light in Spring 2020.
- 3 days face to face support from Strike A Light / Everyman Theatre producers in the lead up to and during the residencies
- 3 half days of fundraising support from the Strike A Light team
- Support in engaging industry professionals in the development and sharing of the work
- Opportunities to engage directly with diverse audiences and explore and test wraparound activity
How to Apply
We would love to hear from you if you identify as a black artist or black led company, with a performance idea you’re looking to develop. We are interested in working with curious, collaborative artists who are open to this process and excited about working in partnership with the commissioning partners and their expertise.
- Please download and read through the commission call out in full here.
- Please download and complete the application form here.
You can apply by submitting a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘ Commission’ in the subject line. Please note: we will not accept CVs. If you have access needs and would like to apply in a different format please contact us.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the commission before making an application please email email@example.com
Deadline for applications is 21st April 2019
What kind of performance work are you looking for?
This is a national call out and we are interested in hearing from artists who create theatre, dance or spoken word in their broadest sense and from artists who combine these disciplines. We would like to support the creation of a new piece of work, so it might be just at the idea stage or you might have done some very early stage research or development.
What do you mean by Black artist or Black led company?
We would like to hear from artists and companies who are of African or Caribbean descent or of the African / Caribbean diaspora or of dual heritage. Several of the partners are working on an audience development project to engage these communities in their local area as audiences and we are interested in the potential for engaging these audiences in your work, but your work does not have to be about your heritage or identity or specifically for a Black audience.
What kind of spaces are available for the residencies?
The Everyman studio space is approx 9m wide and between 3 and 6m deep depending on layout. It is a wooden plywood floor on concrete. The studio space at Hawkwood is approximately 9m x 5m and has a wooden floor.
Photo Credit: Foteini Christofilopoulou for Uchenna Dance The Head Wrap Diaries – Fierce and Free. Performer: Daniella May.